PASAY CITY - The National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines (NAST PHL) held the Paper Presentation of Finalists and Awarding Ceremony of the 2019 Magsaysay Future Engineers/Technologists (MFET) Award last December 9, 2019 at the Hotel Jen Manila, Pasay City.
The finalists were selected from across different academic institutions and a preliminary evaluation was done by the Engineering Sciences and Technology Division of NAST PHL to select the finalists. The winners of this award received cash prizes and plaques from the Academy.
1. Mr. Joshua Emmanuel H. Pagulong of UP Visayas (Photodegradation of Methylene Blue Dye in Distilled and River Water using Citrate-stabilized Silver Nanoparticles)
2. Mr. Alessandro Lorenzo E. Cruz of DLSU (Design, Testing, and Fabrication of an Offshore Seaweed Dryer)
3. Mr. Lorenzo Victor L. Totañes of UP Los Baños (Biosurfactant Production by Actinomycetes (MARI 10) and Pseudomonas aeruginosa (Schroeter) Migula using Molasses and Spent Yeast Autolysate as Low-Cost Medium Components)
4. Mr. Ryan Christian R. Suplito of UP Los Baños (Optimization of Enzymatic Saccharification of Pretreated Sugarcane Bagasse for the production of Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) Bioplastics by Bacillus megaterium de Bary)
5. Mr. John Salvador Y. Ricacho of UP Visayas (Simple and Rapid Colorimetric Sensing of NI (II) ions in Tap Water based on Aggregation of Citrate-stabilized Silver Nanoparticles)
The first prize winner is entitled to a Php 100,000 cash incentive, while the second prize and the third prize winners received Php 50,000 and Php 20,000, respectively. The Special Citation received Php 10,000 cash incentive.
Present to award the plaques and prizes were NAST PHL President Acd. Rhodora V. Azanza and the grandson of the Former Senator Ramon Magsaysay, Mr. Jaime Ramon W. Magsaysay. The Chair of the Board of Judges, Academician Angel L. Lazaro III assisted in the awarding together with the members of the Board of Judges namely, Acd. Jose B. Cruz, Acd. Aura C. Matias, Dr. Agustin M. Fudolig, and Dr. Ruby R. Cristobal.
A DOST institutional award, MFET aims to recognize outstanding research outputs on engineering and technology at the collegiate level and to encourage young Filipino students to pursue a career in science. (Dhan Michael L. dela Peña/NAST PHL)