BICUTAN, TAGUIG CITY – The National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines (NAST PHL) will conduct the paper presentation of the 2020 NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists on June 26, 2020, Friday, at 9:00 AM with a live broadcast on the NAST PHL Facebook Page.
This year, five (5) exemplary finalists from different institutions are vying for the highly coveted award.This year’s finalists and their respective paper entries are:
1. Lyn Marie D.J. Corpuz, University of Santo Tomas (UST) – “Rechargeable batteries utilizing 1D vanadium based electrode: Past, present, future”
2. Darlon V. Lantican, University of the Philippines (UP) Los Baños - “De novo genome sequence assembly of draft coconut (Cocos nucifera L. Catigan Green Dwarf) provides insights into genomic variation between coconut types and related palm species”
3. Lorico D. Lapitan Jr., UST - “Magnetic nanoparticle-poly-enzyme nanobed sandwich assay for direct and ultrasensitive DNA detection and discrimination”
4. Zomesh Artus N. Maini, Ateneo de Manila University – "Lead (II) tolerance and uptake capacities of fungi isolated from a polluted tributary in the Philippines"
5. Wilfred John E. Santiañez, UP Diliman - “Untangling nets: elucidating the diversity and phylogeny of the clathrate brown algal genus Hydroclathrus, with the description of a new genus Tronoella (Scytosiphonaceae, Phaeophyceae)”
The NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists is a project of NAST to encourage young people to pursue a career in science. The board of judges is composed of National Scientist Raul V. Fabella as chair with Acd. Ruben L. Villareal, Acd. Jose Maria P. Balmaceda, Acd. Carmencita D. Padilla, Acd. William T. Torres, Acd. Gisela P. Concepcion, and Dr. Renato U. Solidum Jr. as members.
The winner will receive a cash prize, a plaque of recognition from NAST PHL, and a P500,000 research grant for an approved proposal from the Department of Science and Technology. (Dhan Michael L. dela Peña/NAST PHL)