BICUTAN, TAGUIG CITY – The National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines (NAST PHL) will conduct the Virtual Paper Presentation of the 2021 NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists on March 23, 2021, Tuesday, at 9:00 AM with a live broadcast on the NAST PHL social media accounts. Five (5) exemplary finalists from different institutions will vie for the highly coveted award.
This year’s finalists and their selected paper for presentations are:
- Jhud Mikhail O. Aberilla of University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman – “An integrated sustainability assessment of synergistic supply of energy and water in remote communities”
- Nonawin L. Agustin of Philippine Rice Research Institute - “WEG1, which encodes a cell wall hydroxyproline-rich glycoprotein, is essential for parental root elongation controlling lateral root formation in rice”
- Angelo Earvin S. Choi of De La Salle University - “Oxidation by H2O2 of bezothiophene and dibenzothiophene over different polyoxometalate catalysts in the frame of ultrasound and mixing assisted oxidative desulfurization”
- Marvin M. Flores of UP Diliman – "Constraining Stealth Supersymmetry with illuminated fat jets at the Large Hadron Collider "
- Renier G. Mendoza of UP Diliman - “A Two-Phase Segmentation Approach to the Impedance Tomography Problem”
The NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists is a project of NAST PHL to encourage young people to pursue a career in science. Same as last year, this year’s Chair of the Board of Judges is National Scientist Raul V. Fabella with Acd. Ruben L. Villareal, Acd. Jose Maria P. Balmaceda, Acd. Carmencita D. Padilla, Acd. William T. Torres, Acd. Gisela P. Concepcion, and Dr. Renato U. Solidum Jr. of the Department of Science and Technology as members.
The best three scientific papers will be receiving plaques of recognition and a cash prize of P100,000 for the First Prize, P50,000 for the 2nd Prize, and P30,000 for the 3rd Prize. The First Prize Winner will also be receiving a research grant worth P500,000. The special citations will be receiving a cash incentive of P10,000. (Dhan Michael L. dela Peña/NAST PHL)