BICUTAN, TAGUIG CITY – The National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines (NAST PHL), the highest recognition body on science and technology will once again recognize outstanding Filipino scientists for their significant scientific contributions to the country. The Awarding Ceremony for the 2023 NAST Awardees will be held on July 13, 2023, as the culminating activity of the 45th NAST Annual Scientific Meeting, which will be held on July 12-13, 2023 in Manila.
The Awarding Ceremony will introduce the new members of the Academy, the 2023 Outstanding Young Scientists, and the researchers who won this year’s set of awards. The complete list of 2023 NAST awardees is as follows:
INVESTITURE OF NEW ACADEMICIANS AND CORRESPONDING MEMBER
Four (4) new Academicians will be conferred during the awarding ceremony:
- ELMER P. DADIOS, Ph.D. (Manufacturing Engineering) – De La Salle University
- MARIA CORAZON A. DE UNGRIA, Ph.D. (Microbiology) – University of the Philippines Diliman
- GIL S. JACINTO, Ph.D. (Chemical Oceanography) – University of the Philippines Diliman
- ROEL R. SURALTA, Ph.D. (Agricultural Sciences) – Philippine Rice Research Institute
Membership to the Academy is given to resident Filipino scientists elected as Academicians who have made exemplary contributions to science and technology in the Philippines.
In addition, one (1) new Corresponding Member will also be conferred:
- LEODEVICO L. ILAG, Ph.D. (Microbiology and Immunology)
The NAST PHL Corresponding membership is conferred on non-resident Filipino scientists who have made exemplary contributions to the advancement of science and technology and must have continuing connections and contributions to Philippine science.
OUTSTANDING YOUNG SCIENTIST (OYS) AWARD
The Outstanding Young Scientist (OYS) Award is given to young Filipino scientists below the age of 40 years old, who have made significant contributions to science and technology. Each awardee is given a NAST trophy and a cash prize of PHP 150,000.00. Each awardee is also entitled to a research grant of PHP 1 million from DOST for an approved research proposal.The nine (9) Outstanding Young Scientist awardees are:
- NONAWIN L. AGUSTIN, Ph.D. (Agricultural Science) – Philippine Rice Research Institute
- JOHN JAMIR BENZON R. ARUTA, Ph.D. (Counseling Psychology) – De La Salle University
- FULGENT P. CORITICO, Ph.D. (Biology) – Central Mindanao University
- RONNIE S. CONCEPCION II, Ph.D. (Electronics and Communications Engineering) – De La Salle University
- JILLIAN AIRA S. GABO-RATIO, D.Eng. (Earth Resources Engineering) – University of the Philippines Diliman
- REINABELLE C. REYES, Ph.D. (Astrophysics) – University of the Philippines Diliman
- ALBERT REMUS R. ROSANA, Ph.D. (Microbiology and Biotechnology) – University of the Philippines Los Baños
- MOISES NEIL V. SERIÑO, Dr.rer.pol. (Economics) – Visayas State University
- OURLAD ALZEUS G. TANTENGCO, M.D., Ph.D. (Molecular Medicine) – University of the Philippines Manila
OUTSTANDING BOOK/MONOGRAPH (OBM) AWARD
The Outstanding Book/Monograph (OBM) Award is given annually for books and/or monographs published by Filipino publishers based in the Philippines within five years preceding the award with the majority of the authors of publication being Filipinos. Each of the awardees will receive a plaque of recognition and a cash prize of PHP 25,000.00.
This year’s Outstanding Book/Monograph awardees are:
- The Philippines’ Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic: Learning from the Experience and Emerging Stronger to Future Shocks. (Celia M. Reyes, ed., Michael Ralph M. Abrigo, Jose Ramon G. Albert, Arkin A. Arboneda, Ronina D. Asis, Roehlano M. Briones, Carlos C. Cabaero, Maria Margarita Debuque-Gonzales, Charlotte Justine Diokno-Sicat, Kris A. Francisco, Nel Jason L. Haw, Adoracion M. Navarro, Aniceto C. Orbeta Jr., Ma. Kristina P. Ortiz, Francis Mark A. Quimba, Sheila V. Siar, Aubrey D. Tabuga, Valerie Gilbert T. Ulep, Jhanna Uy, Anna Rita P. Vargas, and Jana Flor V. Vizmanos). Philippine Institute for Development Studies, 2022.
- Transfiguring Mindanao: A Mindanao Reader. (Jose Jowel P. Canuday and Joselito T. Sescon, eds.) Ateneo de Manila University Press, 2022.
The Outstanding Scientific Paper (OSP) Award is given annually for papers published in Thompson Reuters or SCOPUS-listed journals in the Philippines within five years preceding the award. Each awardee will receive a plaque of recognition and a cash prize of PHP 15,000.00.
This year’s Outstanding Scientific Paper awardees are:
- Vulnerability to Climate Change of “Giant Squid” (Thysanoteuthis rhombus) Fishery in Marinduque, Philippines. (Paloma D. De Chavez, Gilda Joannah A. Calderon, Sherwin B. Santos, Emmanuel M. Vera Cruz, and Mudjekeewis D. Santos). The Philippine Journal of Fisheries, 28 (2), 171-180, 2021.
- Social support, well-being, and involvement of fathers with transnational families in the Philippines. (Melissa R. Garabiles). Asian and Pacific Migration Journal, 4 (29), 492-510, 2020.NAST
TALENT SEARCH FOR YOUNG SCIENTISTS (NTSYS)
The NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists (NTSYS) is a project of NAST to encourage young people to pursue a career in science. After the finalists’ paper presentation held on April 21, 2023, the winners of NTSYS are:
- First Prize: JAYSON G. COSME, Ph.D. (Physics) – University of the Philippines Diliman
- Second Prize: MICHAEL T. CASTRO, M.S. (Chemical Engineering) – University of the Philippines Diliman
- Third Prize: ANN FRANCHESCA B. LAGUNA, Ph.D. (Computer Science and Engineering) – De La Salle University
- NEIL JEROME A. EGARGUIN, Ph.D. (Mathematics) – University of the Philippines Los Baños
- IVAN HENDERSON V. GUE, Ph.D. (Mechanical Engineering) – De La Salle University
- JOHN PAUL MATTHEW D. GUZMAN, M.S. (Microbiology) – DOST-Industrial Technology Development Institute
- CHARLON A. LIGSON, M.S. (Marine Science) – University of the Philippines Diliman
The winners will receive plaques of recognition and a cash prize of PHP 45,000 for the First Prize; PHP 30,000 for the 2nd Prize; and PHP 20,000 for the 3rd Prize. The First Prize Winner will also be receiving a research grant worth PHP 500,000 for an approved proposal. The special citation winners will each receive PHP 10,000 cash prize.
NAST ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AWARD (NESA)
The NAST Environmental Science Award (NESA) is intended to recognize outstanding scientific and technological research work that contributes to environmental protection and conservation The winner of the award will receive a plaque of recognition, PHP 150,000 cash incentive, and PHP 2 million research grant.
This year’s NAST Environmental Science Award winner is:
- DRANREB EARL O. JUANICO, Ph.D. (Physics) – Technological Institute of the Philippines, “Does mangrove restoration imply coastal protection? A prospective simulation study”
For more details, you may visit the NAST PHL official website, www.nast.ph and the NAST PHL official Facebook page, @nastphl on the various awards and nominations requirements.
The submission deadline for the 2024 NAST Awards nominations is on or before the last working day of November 2023.