The Scientific Career System (SCS) was established within the Civil Service pursuant to Executive Order No. 784 dated 17 March 1982. It was formally organized on 19 July 1983 with the issuance of Executive Order No. 901. The establishment of the SCS was further reinforced by Section 4 of R.A. 8439 entitled “Magna Carta for Scientists, Engineers Researchers and Other Science and Technology Personnel in Government”.
The Scientific Career System is a system of recruitment, career progression, recognition and reward of scientists in the public service, as a means of developing a pool of highly qualified and productive scientific personnel. The System is characterized by:
- Entrance and career progression or advancement based on qualifications, merit and scientific productivity;
- Career paths that shall allow scientists to develop within their respective areas of expertise without leaving their status as scientists; and
- Incentives and rewards to ensure attraction and retention of highly qualified persons in the science and technology sector.
The Scientific Career System shall apply to scientific personnel with master’s degree and/or doctorate in the natural sciences, engineering and technology, medical sciences; agricultural sciences, selected fields of social sciences, and other related disciplines as may be determined by the Scientific Career Council and listed in Annex A as of 1 February 2002.
The Scientific Career Council, upon the recommendation of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), shall include other fields of discipline in its coverage as necessary for the purpose of meeting the requirements of the scientific community.
The Scientific Career System has five scientist ranks:
- Scientist I
- Scientist II
- Scientist III
- Scientist IV
- Scientist V
The Scientific Career Council (SCC) formulates the rules and regulations for the implementation of the System. At present the SCC is composed of the following:
- Chairman - Chairman (Civil Service Commission)
- Co - Chairman - Secretary (Department of Science and Technology)
- Member - President (National Academy of Science and Technology)
- Member - President (University of the Philippines System)
- Member - President (Natioanl Research Council of the Philippines)
The SCC is assisted by the Secretariat headed by the Executive Secretary and four Special Technical Committees (STCs) composed of the following:\
- Agricultural Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Medical Sciences
- Natural Sciences
FOR MORE INFO:
SCIENTIFIC CAREER COUNCIL SECRETARIAT
NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Science Heritage Bldg. DOST Cmpd. Bicutan, Taguig City, Metro Manila
Direct Line: 8373170; Trunkline: 8372071 loc 3254;
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org